Advisory Board Member Profile 2018
Head - USA Commercial
Areas of Expertise
• Commercial Development • Talent Management Development • Global merger and acquisitions • Level 5 Org Leadership • Influencing Matrix Partnerships • Consensus building and teaming • Marketing Launch Excellence • Global New Business Development • Policy
Thomas Hess brings over 30 years of successful leadership experience to his role as Head of Global Commercial Development at Medicago. Tom is responsible for designing the Global commercial strategy, legislative policy and identifying innovative industry partnerships. He is a dynamic leader with proven executive level marketing, global strategic planning and shareholder management skills. Tom’s leadership and vision have helped launch and expand several global business opportunities. He founded and launched the Global Higher Education Organization (GHEO), an innovative non for profit, answering the need for access to secondary education among the low-income population and innovatively delivering financial, social and skill development to selected students through a novel ecosystem of partners in Colombia.
At GlaxoSmithKline pharmaceuticals Tom was part of the executive leadership team that grew the US vaccine business from a portfolio of $250 Million to $1.5 Billion over his career. His diverse background at GSK included executive level positions in operations, brand management, pricing strategy, customer engagement, innovation, strategic planning, talent management and commercial leadership. He was responsible for the hiring and development of more than 200 employees during his time at GSK.
At Takeda pharmaceuticals, Tom led the creation of the new global vaccine business division. He achieved a historic corporate milestone; the first specialty business approved by the Takeda Board of Directors in its 230-year history. His overall responsibilities included crafting the Takeda global vaccine strategy, mapping out the organizational structure, emerging markets development, deal execution, deal origination and talent acquisition. Tom is an alumnus of Xavier University in Cincinnati, Ohio. He is also a graduate of the University of Chicago Booth Management Institute. He completed his Master’s in Business Administration at Lake Forest Graduate School of Management with Hotchkiss Scholar Designation.
• Drove the design and implementation of the first new business division in the 230 -year history of a Top 15 Pharmaceutical Company.
• Directed the Global M&A process, resulting in the acquisition of two novel vaccine companies and several potential vaccine candidates
• Level 5 leader of pioneer national account selling organization, delivering $125MM in new sales.
• Marketing Excellence award winner, successfully launching a portfolio of new products into the U.S. market.
• Founder of a unique global nonprofit organization called GHEO. Preparing bi-lingual college graduates for leadership roles at multi-national corporations in South America.